This year my wife and I get the privilege of filing our federal tax return as a married couple. Thanks to Edie Windsor’s fight for marriage equality (and many, many others), parts of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) have been overturned which grant same-sex couples with the ability to file married-jointly on a federal level. This opens up a large amount of tax related benefits we were unable to receive in the last couple of years of our being married but can now.
I am not getting a political soap box, I would just like to say thank you to Edie Windsor for giving my family the level of recognition deserved in the eyes of our federal government.
If you want more information about DOMA and marriage equality I’ve written about all of it many times. Click on any of the links below for more information.
- Facebook Went Red for Marriage Equality: The Results
- #013: Marriage Equality & Marketing [Podcast]
- DOMA, and ENDA and Prop 8, oh my!
- Marriage Equality is HERE (almost): What does your marketing say about your company? (A special 6 part series)
- Marriage Equality is Coming: Get your marketing plan ready!
- “Gay Rights are Human Rights” – Hillary Clinton